DECLARATION ADOPTED BY THE PARTICIPANTS IN THE MEETING ORGANISED BY UNESCO AND LITERATURE ACROSS FRONTIERS “INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AND EXCHANGE IN THE FIELD OF LITERATURE AND TRANSLATION” LONDON, 18 MARCH 2004
The undersigned, meeting to consider international co-operation in literature and translation, recognise:
- that literature in the native language of the reader is essential to the transmission of ideas around the world;
- that translation is an irreplaceable tool for ensuring cultural diversity;
- that it is through translation that people share their literary culture ;
- that every language is part of humanity’s essential cultural environment and must be sustained;
- that solidarity between the developed and developing world is essential to the promotion of cultural diversity.
Therefore, following the adoption of the Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity by UNESCO,
And, to note the 2004 enlargement of the European Union, the intention to agree a constitutional framework for Europe, and the first meeting of the World Culture Forum,
We resolve to:
- share information about the field of literary translation and exchange;
- work together to create projects and initiatives to improve the circulation of literature between languages;
- develop research into the qualitative and quantitative aspects of translation;
- develop partnerships with appropriate bodies, whether at the global, regional or local level;
- press for an increase in public funding as well as private contributions in furtherance of these aims.
And, under the umbrella of UNESCO’s Clearing House for Literary Translation, appoint a Steering Committee to develop an interim Network for Literary Exchange - its guiding principles, objectives, institutional relationships and programme.
Contact: Mauro Rosi - UNESCO - Culture
Division of Arts and Cultural Enterprise
Division des arts et de l'entreprise culturelle